Tuesday, August 9, 2011

4K-a-Day Challenge Kerri's Day #2 Results

FOUR + FLOUR = This takes the cake!

Welcome back for Day #2 results, my wicked writer friends! I've made it through Day 2 and got a lot done today but still have much to be done before I can call it a day.

You won't believe the craziness that is my life...details below on how I did. And as you can see by the fact that my tired mind thinks that the word Four looks so much like the word Flour and yet they are so completely different (as referenced above) you'll understand just how crazy my word brain is by this time of day.

Thanks to everyone who has come out to share your results with us. For those of you setting and keeping your goals, good for you. Keep up the pace. Seven days will fly by for you. For those who are struggling to make it--just be sure you get in SOME words. It doesn't have to be 4K. Even if you write 500 word it is much better than not getting anything down on the page.

Get in there and write. Worry about organizing it and second guessing it later. This week...WE WRITE!

Looking forward to hearing day 2 results and hang in there...the middle of the challenge is always the toughest.

Here's how I did today:

Day #2

9:31 a.m.
First day of school for my brand new 5th grade “big girl”. Up super early so as not to be late on first day of school. But, of course, my life could be a British farcical comedy show (and very often resembles one--actually) and everything that can cause delays does cause delays.

Not the least of which is was the leaky bag of garbage that spilled in my garage as I attempted to drag it down the driveway just as the garbage truck rounded the corner and picture me screaming at the stinky mess that was now all over my driveway; the toddler then throwing up all in my hair as I attempt to put him in the car seat; and…wait for it…a flat tire on the way to school! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner, folks. Oy!

Anyway, despite all that nonsense, I'm happy to report that the child was delivered to school on time (just call me Super Mom!) and the other 2 children are only mildly annoyed with me at the present. So, I’m gonna get started. Good morning!

10:21 a.m. Update
Checking in with my first update and I’m up to 771 but have to stop and give little ones a snack now. The eating never stops around here. Back soon with round #2 and I’m going to check more of those class e-mails now. Oh, did I mention that I’m not only teaching a class this month (Hi, Book Factory crew!) but taking a really intensive editing class as well. Double Oy!

1:52 p.m. Update
Many interruptions and tears later (the kids’ tears not mine--this time at least), I’ve made it to the “not quite half way point” at mid-day. My newest total is 1579. Will try to get in one more good stretch before I have to do the afternoon school run and errands. Back in a bit.

2:27 p.m. Update
Another afternoon thunderstorm is upon us and I’ve still got to make a school run in this weather. I can only hope that no more tornadoes are headed our way. Alabama has had more than its fair share of those this year. Still mourning the losses from April.

But I’ve managed to get in a few more words before the afternoon craze hits my house and I’m presently up to 2164. I have to stop now and do some stuff around the house and work on my manuscript edits that are due. Will be back to write more later. Hope to make the goal. Keeping the faith.

4:16 p.m. Update
One rain storm drenched school run, one napless 3 year old, two dirty diapers, and a hyper “no homework induced” 5th grader later and I’m back at the keyboard. Need a to get to 3 K this run.

4:33 p.m. Update
Woot! Got up to 3090 just now and my brain is buzzing. A quick break to help eldest daughter with her computer issues and I’ll be back. Less than 1K to go for the day. I think I can do it in 2 more jaunts. Yay!

5:54 p.m. Update
Done! I made it to 4055 before my timer went off just now and the microwave chimed in with a unified beep. Dinner is ready (leftovers) and my goal is met. I was actually at a pivotal point in a scene but I’ve decided to stop and finish it up tomorrow. I think it will help get me rolling in the morning. Here’s to hoping my car tires are rolling in the morning, eh?


See you then,
Kerri

12 comments:

Nancy Jackson said...

Yay again Kerri for making your goal! Sounds like you had a verrry interesting day - supermom does seem to fit the bill :)

For me I wrote 4093 words so I'm super happy. Took me 5 intervals again of 15 minutes spread throughout the day. Using my timer really does help so I don't have to keep checking the clock.

Thank you so much for this challenge, I'm more than halfway done with the WIP just after 2 days! :)

~Nancy from your Book Factory Workshop

Unknown said...

4748! Yay! Actually, now that I look at that, I need to go get 2 more words. *whoooosh*

Unknown said...

Nancy is right: you are a supermom!

I wrote 4,011 words today. The last 2k were not easy, but I did it. Thanks for the challenge. It's helping me work through some hard-to-write scenes.

suzanne said...

Aww i feel like a loser. I only got 2882 yesterday. Workday was rough and had not time at lunch or any other spare time throughout the day to work on it. Headed home completely exhausted and just couldn't do it. But I wrote down how much I was short in the hopes of making it up one day later in the week when I might have extra time. Still for me 2000 words in a day isn't all that bad.

Brenna Ash said...

Fantastic job, Kerri! I'm in awe of how you do it. Yesterday was an epic fail for me as far as hitting 4K. I hit 4, but not K. :( My measly word count for yesterday is 420. Obviously I need to go read lesson 2 about interruptions. Congratulations to all for meeting your goals. Have a good day and here's to it being a productive day!
Brenna

Nickie Asher said...

I managed 3,533 words yesterday. Woot. Not 4k but I'll take it.

Lyn said...

Hi, I didn't actually say that this is Lynda from the Book Factory Workshop when I posted yesterday...so now I am! LOL.

I was able to have two 15 minute blocks today and wrote 812 words. I seem to be going in the wrong direction. One of my goals is to have 4 of the 15 minute sessions for tomorrow (at least) since I'll be back to a more normal schedule.

You all are doing so well! I have hope for me. :)

Rebecca said...

2661 for me! I'm thrilled - I did better than the previous day even after a hectic day at work. I'm getting the hand of the 15 minute intervals.

Kerri, you are amazing!

-Rebecca from the Book Factory Workshop

Unknown said...

You rock on writing, Kerri.

I didn't meet my goal. I finished my proposal so I can set that aside for a couple day. It was bugging me.

I think by just getting off vacation that I have too many things I want to get done or get back into besides writing. I only wrote 25 pgs on my WIP to keep my head in the story.

I'm off now to write as much as possible until my guests arrive (which will be any time now).

Kathryn said...

Tuesday managed to write 3820 words and honestly surprised that I could write that many. Jury duty all day and they took our laptops and phones away and returned them at the end of the day. Totally wiped out I arrived home made dinner, picked up my daughter and managed to write 3830 words. No jury duty today.

Elisabeth Staab said...

I got close to 5k for day 2--was trying to make up for my low total on day 1. 3k on the sequel for a book that YOUR pitch class helped me sell, and 1800 on another book. Not bad.

Qwillia Rain said...

Missed posting last night.
Considering I had a similar day from "you know where" at the temp job, I made it home in time to eat and run back out to my MMA workout class. Returned home, exhausted and sweaty, showered, vegged in front of the tv for a bit, then finally connected to a character that wanted to talk.
Wouldn't you know it, it's the serial killer...hey, I'll take what I can get.
Didn't make the 4K goal, only about 500 words, but it put me on the road for today's (Wednesday's) output.
(Guess I should also mention I'm in your Book Factory class, huh?)
Anyway, liking the results and hoping the characters keep talking.

Qwillia