ACES! Day #1 VICTORIOUS!
Thanks to everyone for joining me today on this week's challenge. I see a lot of familiar faces/names on here and I hope you'll stick with us every day until the deal is done (pun on the playing cards from pic above intentional--ha!)
Here's how it went for me today...
Day #1
12:01 p.m. I know I’m late to my own party! I did get the kick off post up early this morning but then had to take my eldest daughter to get new glasses and an eye exam. This should have taken an hour but took all morning instead. I’ve been struggling to get caught up since. But I’m up and running and have 565 new words under my belt from my first jaunt. Keep on going.
1:32 p.m. Update
Children are being very uncooperative. Well, the baby is being a good napper and I was over joyed at my silent writing time to come but the other two (my 3 year old and 10 year old) are bugging me to death. School starts tomorrow and the 5th grader will be bugging the teacher then. Anyway, I just now squeezed out 728 more and I’m up to 1293 total by mid-day. Back after a lunch break and some children maneuvering. Hope you all are doing well. I’m almost 1/3 of the way there!
2:13 p.m. Update
Did the dishes and got the children set up with snacks. That kept their mouths busy for a few moments. I managed to crank out a few more words but now all havoc is breaking loose. Up to 1959 for the day. Now, almost at the ½ way mark! Woot! Gonna try to get in another 15 minutes shortly and I’ll report back again.
3:25 p.m. Update
This time finds me with the 3 year old down for a nap and the 10 year old off getting ready for her big day at school tomorrow. Mommy is trying to get caught up on her Book Factory class responses and get her 4K completed. Just got in another 15 minutes and I’m up to 2718 for the day. Only a little over 1200 to go. Must take a quick break and play with the baby now. He’s looking at me with a pitiful face. Back soon and we’ll get a few more words under the belt.
5:02 p.m. Update
Took a nice long break and wrestled with my toddler. He beat me up. He’s tougher than he looks at 18 months old! Anyway, I’m back and did another 15 minute jaunt. While I was writing these words, I had this brilliant idea come to me of a great POV to switch to for the next scene but I had to push through the writing until the timer went off. Now, I’m struggling to remember the idea. So, I wish I had paused the timer a second to jot down the idea. Maybe it will come to me. But this goes to show how serious I am about keeping up the writing despite the interruptions. I’m up to 3588 at the end of the regular business day. Back for one last jaunt and a wrap up shortly.
5:53 p.m. Update
The natives are restless around here…so I have to wrap up for the day. Plus a thunderstorm is fast approaching and I want to get offline before something snafus my computer. But I just did a quick jaunt with fast and furious fervor and I’m happy to report that I kicked challenge bootie with 4566 total words today. Yay! Oh, and I remembered the POV idea from above. Will start there tomorrow.
I’ll be back tomorrow to do more damage. How did you all do? Gimme all the gory details.
Best,
Kerri
Thanks to everyone for joining me today on this week's challenge. I see a lot of familiar faces/names on here and I hope you'll stick with us every day until the deal is done (pun on the playing cards from pic above intentional--ha!)
Here's how it went for me today...
Day #1
12:01 p.m. I know I’m late to my own party! I did get the kick off post up early this morning but then had to take my eldest daughter to get new glasses and an eye exam. This should have taken an hour but took all morning instead. I’ve been struggling to get caught up since. But I’m up and running and have 565 new words under my belt from my first jaunt. Keep on going.
1:32 p.m. Update
Children are being very uncooperative. Well, the baby is being a good napper and I was over joyed at my silent writing time to come but the other two (my 3 year old and 10 year old) are bugging me to death. School starts tomorrow and the 5th grader will be bugging the teacher then. Anyway, I just now squeezed out 728 more and I’m up to 1293 total by mid-day. Back after a lunch break and some children maneuvering. Hope you all are doing well. I’m almost 1/3 of the way there!
2:13 p.m. Update
Did the dishes and got the children set up with snacks. That kept their mouths busy for a few moments. I managed to crank out a few more words but now all havoc is breaking loose. Up to 1959 for the day. Now, almost at the ½ way mark! Woot! Gonna try to get in another 15 minutes shortly and I’ll report back again.
3:25 p.m. Update
This time finds me with the 3 year old down for a nap and the 10 year old off getting ready for her big day at school tomorrow. Mommy is trying to get caught up on her Book Factory class responses and get her 4K completed. Just got in another 15 minutes and I’m up to 2718 for the day. Only a little over 1200 to go. Must take a quick break and play with the baby now. He’s looking at me with a pitiful face. Back soon and we’ll get a few more words under the belt.
5:02 p.m. Update
Took a nice long break and wrestled with my toddler. He beat me up. He’s tougher than he looks at 18 months old! Anyway, I’m back and did another 15 minute jaunt. While I was writing these words, I had this brilliant idea come to me of a great POV to switch to for the next scene but I had to push through the writing until the timer went off. Now, I’m struggling to remember the idea. So, I wish I had paused the timer a second to jot down the idea. Maybe it will come to me. But this goes to show how serious I am about keeping up the writing despite the interruptions. I’m up to 3588 at the end of the regular business day. Back for one last jaunt and a wrap up shortly.
5:53 p.m. Update
The natives are restless around here…so I have to wrap up for the day. Plus a thunderstorm is fast approaching and I want to get offline before something snafus my computer. But I just did a quick jaunt with fast and furious fervor and I’m happy to report that I kicked challenge bootie with 4566 total words today. Yay! Oh, and I remembered the POV idea from above. Will start there tomorrow.
I’ll be back tomorrow to do more damage. How did you all do? Gimme all the gory details.
Best,
Kerri

16 comments:
Hi Kerri! Nancy here from the Book Factory workshop :) Great job on your first day of the challenge, and you have way more things going on than me, lol.
I used five 15 minute interval to squeak in 4082 words today on my current WIP. It surprised me! In fact so far I've used your method for all of my TO DO list, and my day has been productive and full! So thank you :)
Okay, I'm off to get in a little reading time. Thanks Kerri!
WTG! I'm impressed. =)
I wrote 3,819 words on my novella.
up at 3:30 and by 5:50 I had 2000 and something then off to the day job. Worked off and on throughout the day but hunkered down after dinner and I don't usually write at night, but decided this week I'd have to. Anyway 9:15 pm and I hit 4020. Whew. I gotta type faster tomorrow.
I'm envious of all of you, I tried, but today was a monumental failure as far as my usual schedule.
The dentist first thing this morning followed by an announcement that we didn't get a big contract at work that we had counted on. That led to an afternoon and evening of meetings on what our strategy should be. I was brain dead by the time I disconnected from the phone and the computer after the last meeting.
At 8 p.m., my daughter, who had been in TN all summer with her boyfriend, walked in and wanted dinner. So it was off to the kitchen to whip up something for us to enjoy together. Then we spent the next couple of hours catching up. I suppose I'm lucky she was tired from her drive and decided her bed was calling to her a little after 10.
My little writer's brain was exhausted but elated ... it was only 10:30 I could try to get in some words! 4K maybe, well probably not, but I was determined to put up something here tonight! My 15 minutes, which turned in to an hour did bear fruit.
It just happened that the next scene was a huge love scene! LOL perfect!? Well at least I was able to get out some of my angst from today in a productive way, right? I will probably have to tame it down on edits but I am proud of myself that I wrote something...anything tonight.
I didn't come close to 4K today but, I did write, I did make the commitment even with my day from hell. I am proud to say I have 1134 words for today.
Tomorrow is a new day, a new scene and more 15 minute segments to fill. Here's to a finished WIP by Sunday! :)
WTG, Kerri! That is awesome!
I didn't make the goal. Didn't even break a 1K. *sigh* But I was productive. On everything else. ;o)
Tomorrow I'll change it up and try a new method of getting the words done.
Good luck for tomorrow! Or rather for today. ;o)
~EK
1428 for Day 1. I feel a little like everyone and everything conspired against writing time, but it's already better today.
4 AM: Thought I'd snag a good 1.5 hours...but little one had a nightmare just 15 minutes in and wouldn't go back to sleep.
6 AM and 6 PM: Forgot that I'm the one driving carpool this week, so I actually have 8 hours less than I thought I did.
8-6: Fought the epic battle of epicness at the day job. Certain people had to understand that they can't step on my toes behind my back and get away with it. Nor can they pass my documents off as their own. I'm just really glad I was in the office when it all went down. *Mommy Hulk SMAAASH* ;)
8 PM: Set up the babyproofing gating all around the living room. I'm in a 3 foot high jail cell.
9 PM: Ate dinner with the hubby and finally managed to return to words. Except...I fell asleep on my desk. With already an hour of writing under my belt today, I'm positive I can make 4k though. :D
Way to go, everyone--wishing you all loads of progress today!
Wow! Awesome totals everyone. I didn't hit anywhere near 4K, but that's okay. I wrote and that's what matters. I didn't really have anything work against me, the words just weren't flowing. I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out how to bring everything together, so I think I need to work on some outlining today to make the word flow come easier. My total for yesterday was 1048. Good luck to everyone today!
I didn't hit 4k. But I did manage 2,254 words and that finished a short story. Yay! I'm starting another short today. Go us.
Oh yeah, my log in is Nickie Asher, my pen name, but this is Joan from the Book Factory workshop.
Hi this is Rebecca from the Book Factory class. I'm so impressed with everyone's totals. Congrats!
I tried the 15 min interval yesterday and was surprised at how much I could actually work in! It was awesome! So I got in a very full day at work, did my normal Monday "chores" and still got 2579 words written!
I discovered that my mind still kept churning and coming up with ideas even when I wasn't at the computer, which made the keyboard time more efficient. I'm so excited. Thank you Kerri! This is so exciting! :-)
wow, Kerri, you are a dynamo. I've decided since I've retired, I move slower.
I had a very busy day yesterday by my standards (not yours). I didn't reach 4K goal, but I know it spurred me to stretch. I thought I can't post less than 1K tomorrow. So, that's what I did 1023 words. Today, my goal will be a little different. I need to finish a non-fiction proposal so my goal is to do that & still write 1K on my romance.
Thanks for having this.
I had jury duty so it was difficult to focus even 15 minutes of attention in increments. However, I managed to revise my 1st chapter of 8737 words down to 6649 words and move forward another 683 words for Monday's challenge.
I had a most relaxing day and after the week I had where I was literally out of my house every day all day, I eso enjoyed the quiet. I planned on sitting down to write when we sent the kids to bed early and I'll be darned if my niece and her family didn't show up to visit. So all I got done is chapters rearragned.
didn't even come close to my 4K a day goal, maybe got 800 done, but it's more than I've done in a while.
Will try to do better tonight.
Day 1 for Winona--I was able to get in 2117 words for the day. I aimed for the 4K and found that having the goal made me put my writing first for the first time in probably forever.
I also used the 15 minute method and found that I got involved and often wrote more than the 15.
I didn't make 4K but I did better than I do on most days. I'm not quitting. Hurdles get in the way but averaging 4K will get my current WIP finished by the end of next week.
So, it was a success in my mind.
Okay, here's my excuse, lol. I'm from the book factory class and didn't see the challenge until late in the day monday with digest so am almost embarrassed to say I only had about 300 words..but it's better than zero! Hope to improve as the week progresses!
Maureen
sadly i didn't join the challenge until 5pm, and I was coming off of an illness. only 1k for day 1/ :(
Post a Comment