Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Today's Question/Prize for Best Answer

Best answer to today's question wins a secret holiday surprise! Help me find something for my 17 year old step-son. Puleeze!!!

Question: What are the best Christmas gift ideas for a teenage boy who has everything?

11 comments:

Allison said...

Kerri,

Yes, its' cold in Alabama! Even on the coast.

In answer to your question, since most teenagers are geeks, or near geeks, I suggest an e-reader. eBookwise has one on sale right now, good price and you kill one bird with two stones, they get the new tech stuff and they are encouraged to read. My huband's getting one for Christmas. Of course, he's not a kid, but...
Allison
www.AllisonKnight.com

Julie Robinson said...

Kerri,
Swung over after seeing your email on CCRW. That's a good question, and I will be checking other answers for myself, as my son is 17-years old. Is yours early teens or late teens? And by "has everything," I would guess that you mean all the latest in high tech equipment, such as X-box, Ipod or Iphone. Are there certain computer games he likes? "Cause some of those are pretty expensive. There is also Nintendo WII which is a gaming system. Or a laptop for college. Or if he's old enough to drive, a "gift certificate" saying you'll pay for his insurance for the next year.

Or is he more the type to like a paintball set? I got mine a set of military history books (he loves reading and military history), but I think I am also going to get him 2 tall bookshelves for his room because he has nowhere to put all his books. One year I had gotten a wooden 16-cubby shelf to put along a wall, which I got from Unfinished furniture and varnished. And I am NOT one who is good in that type of stuff. But it's still there and in use.

Whatever big gift you give him, maybe you could accompany it with a handwritten note inside a mushy card telling him how much you love him. Maybe talk about things you are proud of him for---not just his accomplishments but qualities that make up his character. Or some favorite memories of the two of you when he was little, what you wish most for him in his future. My senior just had a retreat at his school in which a parent had to write a letter like this unbeknownst to their child. I gave it to the school in a sealed envelope, which he opened on the day of the retreat. I had his dad write a note too, only mine turned out to be 4 pages typed, single-space. (i have terrible handwriting, so it was better typed). However,, i had a sweet card for him too, in which I hand wrote a note as well. So maybe a Christmas Card that specifically says "for son" on it. I truly believe that, if you have not done this type of thing yet, it will be the best Christmas gift you can give him.

All right, I've rambled on long enough now! Hope this helps, Julie

Julie Robinson said...

Allison,
You're right about killing two birds with one stone. After 20 years, I truly believe that some of those games bought for "the boy" are really games for HIS inner child!! Of course, all the reference books on military history are really good research books if I need them! Guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, eh? Or in this case, two trees. It does take two similar fruit trees for pollination to occur and fruit to be produced . . . . .:-)
Julie

Lise said...

Since I am utterly clueless as to all the technological stuff being suggested, I will say that (though I was never a teenaged boy, I was a peculiar teenaged girl) I love the idea of a chemistry set science kit for experiments. Hands on stuff is, I think, so much more fun than virtual. They come in a variety of ranges (from the silly stuff for little kids, to more mature kits for older kids that require more caution, of course). One thing I used to do was "grow" crystals. Very cool stuff. If not, perhaps a telescope or microscope. To explore the world around and investigate and discover. I know, I know, I'm a total throwback.

Good luck with the blog! It's a great idea and I'm sure it will be a hit.

Nicole McCaffrey said...

LOL Kerri, if you find out the answer let me know--I have three teenaged nephews. *G*

Just wanted to stop by and visit your new blog and wish you well with it!

Nic

Traci said...

Marshmallow shooters!!! Seriously, those were a HUGE hit with the guys (and gals) last year in my house. They don't hurt, they aren't that messy, and the kids (even the adult ones) have a blast.
Good luck on your new blog, Kerri -
Traci

Traci said...

oh - and the ever popular itunes card in whatever amount you choose.

can you tell I have teenagers?

Traci

Fraoch said...

Provide your son with some interesting experiences. Have him mentor with an individual who is doing a unique job such as trainer for a sports team, or someone who is creating something of his interest.

Another you unique gift is to sign him up to help a service oriented group in your area such a local food bank or local free clinic so he can give back as well learn valuable lessons.

I am all for giving kids classes and memories rather than things. I often gave my daughter week long classes or camps during the holiday break where she could explore something new. Things last but a while, memories last forever.

Jody

Jennifer Echols said...

I'll echo Traci: iTunes card, or bookstore gift card. That's what I would want if I were 17 (and now!). :)

Julie Robinson said...

I have to laugh at myself. Looking back, I can see I originally saw that your step-son was 17 in the question. And then I immediately go and ask about early or late teens! Sometimes I have to wonder where my mind is at!!
Julie, still shaking her head and laughing at her self

Chicks of Characterization said...

I have to agree with some of the other posts, my 17 yr old wants, an Itunes gift card, Hollister and Aeropostale clothes especially the hoodies, and money! I enjoyed your site! I have one that is similar, check it out if you get a chance!

www.chicksofcharacterization.blogspot.com

Andrea:O)
CHRW