Sunday, November 23, 2008

Party with Author Roxanne St. Claire//The Week of Rocki!




^No! Not that Rocky!





NO! Not THAT Rocky either!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


We are talking about the bestselling, brilliant, and beautiful Roxanne St. Claire a/k/a Rocki! I'm extremely fortunate that she's agreed to be featured on my new blog this week (my first ever featured author week) and extremely blessed that she considers me her friend.

Today, we'll kick off with a brief interview with Rocki followed by some different "question of the day" themes each day. We'll be giving away goodies each day this week and a big grand prize on Friday. In order to be eligible for the prize on Friday, you'll need to post during the week with either a question or comment for me or Rocki.

I'll draw the grand prize winner on Friday and the more posts you make during the week, the more chances you'll have to win on Friday!

Let's have a blast!

Here's what I recently asked Rocki....

1. What inspired the Bullet Catcher's series?

I was researching bodyguards for the book KILL ME TWICE, having written three unrelated, unconnected romantic suspense novels and on my way to writing a fourth. I saw the slang term "bullet catcher" to describe a bodyguard and creative lightning struck. The whole concept for the series - a high-end, elite cadre of security specialists, investigators and bodyguards - took shape in my head. Now, I knew I wanted to "find" a series idea, but when this one hit me, it hit hard.

2. What's your biggest challenge as a writer (ie: middle of the book slumps)?

My biggest writing hurdle is figuring out how to structure a scene to make it most effective, and which scene should be chosen to make a plot point. For example, I know that there has to be this scene where "hero confronts heroine about the meaning of the documents he stole from her room." BUT HOW? What is the BEST way to do that? A surprise ambush, a direct confrontation, a roundabout sneaky way, she finds him reading them, he seduces the truth out of her? Whatever I chose, which one will have the most tension? The most EMOTION? What will be the most entertaining to read? How can I use this scene to further three or four other important plot points? This is why many scenes take me three, four, five tries until I get it right - and that's not even the rewriting and editing. That's just "where it starts, what happens, where it ends."

3. Do you set goals for yourself each day (ie: # of pages or # or words)?

Yes and no. I have a DEADLINE for every book, and that is the ultimate "goal." To meet that, I try to figure out how many words/pages per day I will have to do. In the beginning of a book, I miss it miserably. In the end, I exceed. Somehow, I make it. I also set annual goals -- sort of "big picture" concepts of what I want to accomplish every year. The most important thing about a goal is that it be: measurable and achievable AND in your control. For example, "selling a book" is not a goal -- it's a dream. But "submitting my manuscript to 6 editors and 10 agents in the next twelve months" is a goal. Go for it!

4. Are you a "plotter" or a "pantser"?

I'm a plotter who can only see four scenes in the future, beyond that, I'll be flying by the seat of my pants. I used to think I was a plotter, even gave workshops on the joys of plotting boards. But, in truth, the magic happens at the keyboard for me -- that's where I discover my characters and my story. So, I have to shamefacedly admit that I'm more of a pantser than a plotter.

5. What do you have "in the works"?

I have two books coming out in 2009, both Bullet Catcher books. In September, HUNT HER DOWN, with hero and fan favorite Dan Gallagher, and just one month later, in October, MAKE HER PAY, with a brand new Bullet Catcher named Con Xenakis. I'm writing that one now and it's....fun. Some days.


Questions for Rocki from my 7 year old daughter......

1. What's your favorite book?

Oh, wow. This is a tough one. I guess I'll go with my old standard... MORNING GLORY by LaVyrle Spencer. But I love so many books, from GONE WITH THE WIND to JANE EYRE to MR. PERFECT. All my faves have the same thing in common: tons of emotion, conflict, romance, tension, drama...and a really happy ending. (Except for GWTW, obviously.)

2. What's your favorite color?

Um. Is there more than one color? I think the question is, what shade of PINK is my favorite? (Pale, creamy, soft, baby pink.)

3. What's your favorite thing to do on Saturday?

Shop. With my daughter, who is eleven and all things amusing and wonderful and strategic in her shopping efforts. I also like to curl up under a blanket and watch movies like "Overboard" and "Ghost" and anything romantic and wonderful.


Thanks so much Rocki, my dear!!

Let the party begin!!!!!!!!

Chow, bellas!

16 comments:

Roxanne St. Claire said...

Kerri - I'm so excited to be your debut featured author. Thank you! We have books to giveaway! Perhaps your blog readers don't know the truth about me - I'll answer anything. I've been published (22 books) with two publishers (Pocket and Harlequin) since 2003, and I love to give advice and counsel to new and aspiring authors. I love to talk books, writing, the life, the biz, the trends, the craft. Ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer. My web site is being updated this week with new information (and a FREE download of one of the Bullet Catchers stories) but pop by if you're looking for question ideas.

It's www.roxannestclaire.com

And thanks again, Kerri!

xoxo
Rocki

Angel said...

Hi, Rocki! So cool to see you here.
I really enjoyed meeting you at the HOD Luncheon this year.

Could you tell us a little more about your journey to publication? What do you think should be the main focus for unpublished writers?

Danniele

Playground Monitor said...

I got depressed just reading that whole scene structure paragraph. I just vomit words on a page and hope they make sense.

I remember your plotting board workshop. I have a plotting board for the book I'm doing now. I glance at it but mostly I use a junior legal pad where, before I start the chapter, I scribble the things that MUST happen and the things that MIGHT happen and then I begin. And sometimes I get things I never dreamed COULD happen. Like yesterday -- my heroine revealed she had some diamond jewelry. Wish I could just discover some diamonds in my jewelry box. LOL! I'm just hoping this book is a diamond in the rough.

Cannot wait for Dan's book! But next September? Can you be bribed for the Word file? LOL!

Marilyn

Problem Child said...

Hi Rocki!

Good to see you here. Folks, she is willing to talk and share (and she's full of good advice)!

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Hey Rocki. Good to 'see' you again. I had so much fun at this year's luncheon with you.

I think I went to the RWA workshop on plotting you did with Gayle Wilson in Reno, I think. Was it that long ago? Wow. Anyway, I'm more of a plotter, but a plotter who can be convinced to stray if the characters insist on it.

Is there a book in your head that you haven't had the chance to get to for whatever reason that you'd love to write (even if it isn't the most commercially viable at the moment)?

Stacey Kayne said...

Hey Rocki! I'm a huge of fan of you and your books ;-) Love how that "Bullet Chatcher" idea struck you. I find the ideas that hit like a bolt of lightening are the easiest to write---not that I equate "easy" with writing *lol*. I will admit I was not a huge fan of Romantic Suspense in general until I started reading your books. Love your blend of action and romance. Cheers on the new releases!!

Roxanne St. Claire said...

Hey guys! Lots of familiar faces and names here! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Angel, the journey to publication is never easy (except, I think Susan Elizabeth Phillips sold her first book two weeks after she sent it out!) and even more frustrating is that it's never the same for any two writers. You guys all know this so well.

My journey included a lot of "Cs" -- contests, conferences, critiques, and...cocktails. Yeah, uh huh. Seriously, the contest circuit was very good to me in that I finaled a lot (with a book that never sold, btw) and one of those finals helped me get an agent. Meeting people (that's where the cocktails come in!) and learning the business at regional conferences was just an outstanding source of information and growth for me, and I had a great critique partner in the beginning when I really didn't know POV from Passive. Once I got an agent, I still didn't sell for well over a year, and not with the manuscript that she'd liked. Once I did sell (to Pocket Books on January 28, 2002 at 3:28 in the afternoon), then I had a lot of sales, very quickly. In the next 13 months, I sold 8 more books to Pocket and Silhouette Desire, and I haven't stopped writing since.

I'll stop this note, though, and answer the other questions separately for fear of exploding Kerri's blog!

xoxo
Rocki

Jennifer Y. said...

Fabulous interview!

I love Roxanne's books and enjoyed reading what inspired the Bullet Catcher series.

Rocki, you mention research, have you ever done any hands-on research for any of your books? For example, visited security specialists, bodyguards, etc.

Roxanne St. Claire said...

Marilyn, LOL on the diamonds in your jewelry box. Oh, if only it were so. And a big hot hero in my...nevermind.

I know September seems like a long time to wait for Danny Boy, but I can be bought. Let's just get that out there right now. I'm purchasable, and I like 1) wine; 2) pink shoes; 3) pics of hot guys; 4) jewelry - in case you find more 5) more pics of hot guys; 6) lobster dipped in butter sauce; 7) neiman marcus gift cards; 8) more pics of hot guys; 9) lifelong friendship....See? You can BUY that document from me.

xoxo

Roxanne St. Claire said...

Hey Smarty Pants! YES - there are about four books in my head that would be classified as straight romance/women's fiction/even (although I hate to use this word) chick lit. I would love to write another book in the "vein" of HIT REPLY, the chicklit I wrote under the name Rocki St. Claire. I would also like to write more category books, since I had a blast writing Desires. But right now, I'm focused entirely on the Bullet Catchers since they've seem to have found an audience and I hope to grow it.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

It's "the other Marilyn" here and as most of you know, I'm a huge fan of the Bullet Catchers and my dear friend, Rocki.

I love the name Con. How did you come up with that and tell us a little about him.

Does he top Max (my favorite)?xxoo

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

What a GREAT interview, Rocki and Kerri. :D


Rocki, I loooove your Bullet Catcher series and have some great reading ahead of me this winter. :D I hope the series never ends!!! You have AWESOME heroes and GREAT heroines, and I loooove how you surprise me with your twists. :D

Hugs, Nancy/Blue

Playground Monitor said...

I think you're a jinx. I finished writing chapter 7 last night and opened a new document this morning, spaced down to the proper spot and typed "Chapter Eight." And then nothing.

I knew what I had to get across but no clue how to approach it. Or whose POV to put it in. So I pondered on it while I made a run to the post office, K-Mart (where I found great Joe Boxer sweats for women in PINK!) and grocery store. While the frozen soup for dinner was thawing I grabbed a legal pad and just started scribbling. Two pages later I knew.

If I understand you correctly, it's never easy, but does it ever get just a smidgeon quicker? I really didn't need to lose a whole day.

M

Roxanne St. Claire said...

Hi Marilyn S!!! Great to "see" you here. Con is Constantine Xenakis, and he is truly a Con Man. Here's what I wrote today that will go on my website later this week, with a picture:

When Constantine Xenakis shows up in Hunt Her Down, he’s a thief, a mercenary, and – surprisingly – a former Bullet Catcher. After one assignment went south, Lucy let him go, and he decided to use his uncanny ability to steal stuff to make a fine, if illegal, living. But when he makes a decision to fight on the side of the angels, he buys himself one more chance as a Bullet Catcher. Lucy sends this former Navy SEAL back to the water to track down someone who’s been helping herself to the treasure on a salvage hunt. Don’t miss the Con Man when he finds the sexiest and most creative ways to catch a thief and MAKE HER PAY. (October, 2009)

Hope you love him!

xoxo

Roxanne St. Claire said...

Thank you, Nancy-blue! (I love your new photography book - it rocks!). And miss playground monitor, I'll be looking for the pink Joe Boxers in my Christmas stocking!

xoxo

ertraumajunkie said...

Rocki
In yor former life you were an ad woman, answer the age old question... who would win in a celebrity death match? Sylvester Stallone or Burger King?

Just kidding, for any of you who have not met Rocki in the flesh- she's one of the nicest, most honest people I know.

I have to give her credit that her books are "good." Having read a few while they were still fledgling ideas of really hot men who shoot people for a living.

For those who have not attended one of Rocki's workshops. Do so!. You will come away with a handful of the secrets of writing romantic suspense, the need to have a constant goals list and a path to achieve those goals, and the super, secret...the need to have a mentor throughout your entire career. They will help with yor books, keep you sane, and tell you when your dress hem is tucked into your unders.

Keep up the fantastic work Rocki. Hugs and Kisses and Pink Purses with shoes to match.

Tammy