Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Nightmare on Breast Street (Mammogram Post 2 of 2)

I promised to share my first mammogram experience with everyone. And although it went a lot differently that I ever could have imagined--I'm back to tell the tale. And this, my friends, is why you MUST have this test.

So, the days counted down to my first mammogram experience. I worried about it some but mostly I stayed too busy to watch the countdown clock. Suddenly, the day was here and I dropped the kids off at my folk's house and headed off on my "boob squishing mission".

When I arrived at the office, everything was clean, calm, and extremely efficient. Very little wait time and soon I was escorted to my own little tiny waiting room where I was told to undress and put on a gown.

I waited a few more minutes and started to feel a little anxious. Then, a lovely nurse appeared and gave me a big hug. "Everything will be fine..." she said as she showed me down the hallway and into the room with the big, ugly machine in it.

The mammogram consisted of several different positions for each side and was somewhat uncomfortable. I had to take a couple of deep breaths but it certainly wasn't scream worthy.

The worst position, by far, was the side position where I had to reach up and hold a bar and lean way back. Very awkward and the little tray smasher/masher thing will hit you in the face as it releases you, if you don't move your head in time.

I was so happy when it was over. Then, she told me that some women have cysts in their breasts and that they are usually nothing to worry about. Uh, oh! This must mean that she saw something on the images.

She told me not to get nervous that the doctor would look at the images and that she might order an ultrasound. No big deal.

Okay, calm...stay calm.

I return to my tiny, private waiting room and wait. This time the wait is a bit longer and I sit, clutching my gown to my body and staring at the ugliest carpet in the world. I feel nervous despite her reassurances.

She comes back and tells me that an ultrasound was ordered and off we go to another room. There, she pokes and prods me with the ultrasound wand. To me, this is far more uncomfortable than the mammogram. She captures multiple images and shows me a small cyst in one breast and a rather large cyst in the other.

The doctor will come in and take a look. I meet the doctor who is a nicely dressed woman with a pleasant voice. She comes in and takes a look. More pushing and prodding. She doesn't like the big cyst. She makes clicking noises with her tongue and seems unsure of ruling things "okay" as is--then the nurse asks "do you need me to set up the other room?"

I don't like the sound of that.

The doctor indicates that she does and I'm carted off to yet another room with a bigger (and pink) ultrasound machine. The nurse explains that this machine just provides different images and more precise results.

Great. Let's get on with it.

Then the doctor comes in and does more poking and prodding followed by more uncertainty as to what was going on inside the large cyst. She finally decides that the best course of action would be to "stick a needle in it". Huh?

I thought this was just going to be a routine first mammogram. What the hell was going on here?

She explained the procedure to me for obtaining a breast biopsy and that she felt it was important to check this out fully because "I'm young and have 3 children". That was when I felt the tears come on. I couldn't stop them.

I asked if I could come back when I had someone with me. I didn't want to do this alone. Plain and simple, I was scared.

She told me that if I scheduled it--then I'd just sit at home worrying about it. I might even talk myself out of coming back.

I agreed to the test.

Then, back to my tiny waiting room for more waiting and many more tears while they set things up. Now onto the biopsy table where needles followed by more ultrasound poking and a lot of pressure proceeded to further elevate my blood pressure and ruin my day.

When it was over, she seemed positive about what she found. She told me that my results would be available the following day.

Now the waiting would begin.

Sporting an ice pack in my bra and a 45 minute drive back to my parent's house to get my kids--I was an emotional mess.

Somehow, I made it through the night but the next day was pure torture. The waiting. The worrying. The clock ticking.

What if?

You never think it will happen to you. You read about it happening to others but you never think it will happen to you.

I seek the support of the most wonderful women in my life--my author friends. The outpouring of support and encouragement is overwhelming. I ask for positive vibes, prayers, and any good luck that anyone has to spare.

The e-mails pour in throughout the day and each one gives me hope. Thank you. Thanks to every single one of you. I couldn't have made it through the day without you.

Finally, late in the day, when my nerves are raw and my brain is throbbing with tension...the call comes.
The results are in...

Everything is okay. The doctor is happy with the results and no follow-up is necessary at this time.

Relief. Gratefulness. Disbelief.

More Prayers and Praise.

A few more tears....

Hugs from my children. Happy voices from my husband and parents.

Now, the day is new again. My future bright once again. Back to the writing deadlines and publisher hassles. Back to promotion and worry over my career goals.

Back to life and happy to have one.

For now at least...the nightmare is over.

34 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Kerri,

We are so happy that it came out well. Celebrate life, girl. Celebrate large.

Hugs...

CC

kerribookwriter said...

Thanks CC!

As soon as my chest stops hurting--I've already enlisted hubby to treat me to a night on the town!

I feel the need to kick up my heels!

Woot!

Thank you so much for everything.

Hugs,
K.

Lori Brighton said...

So glad to hear the news! Sorry you had to go through it alone, but she was probably right to get it over with and not have to wait.

But hooray for you! I'm so proud of you!

Miriam Newman said...

God bless, Kerri. Yes, I am glad you had the test, too.

kerribookwriter said...

Thanks Lori!

I had to put on my brave face and take it "like a woman"!

I appreciate all your kindness.

Hugs,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Thanks Miriam.

What would I do without my friends? Seriously.

Every woman should be so lucky.

Huggers,
K.

Beth Trissel said...

Quite a tale, very scary, and I'm so glad things turned out well for you. That is a highly efficient center. Most women have to come back for the ultrasound and then again for the biopsy each with its agonizing wait. I know because my mother recently went through this, and it turned out to be cancer. She just finished her last course of radiation and has an excellent prognosis.

Eliza Knight said...

YAYAY! I am so happy that things are okay Kerri.

I know I've told you before, but you are such an awesome writer :) Great post, emotional, made a big impact.

HUGS wifey poo!
Eliza

Jody said...

Way to "man up" as they say and stay the course until you found out what it was. I have cystic breasts and once they have a baseline to follow you if they reoccur and they often do, (mine filled within a day of having it drained) your doctor will have a working knowledge of your breasts. You did great and next time it won't be as scary.

Enjoy the night on the town.

Chicks of Characterization said...

I am so happy that everything is fine! I knew it would be but having gone through almost the exact same thing I know how trying it can be on the nerves. Sending you huge HUGS!!!

xoxo Love ya

Andrea :O)

Denise said...

So happy for you! I sent you a little inspirational package and I hope you like it.

kerribookwriter said...

Beth~~
Thanks for the comment and my prayers go out to you and your mother. So happy that things are looking better with her treatment. Please keep me posted.

Yes, the waiting for the results was tough but if I'd had to go through it with days in between each step--I would have been a blubbering idiot by the time the results came in.

Thank goodness for the expeditiousness of this Center!

Hugs,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Hi Eliza (wifey dearest),

Thank you so much for the lovely comment.

I adore you, as well and am truly blessed in so many ways...not the least of which is with your friendship.

Love,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Thank you JODY~

Sorry I've been out of touch this week but I believe I owe you a message.

Trying to get back to work after "real life" drama.

I appreciate the words of wisdom and commiseration.

Hugs,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Andrea~~

I truly appreciate all your thoughtful messages and your heartfelt support.

Just knowing that my friends were "out there" for me was a life saver. No joke--I simply couldn't have made it through the last couple of days without you.

I'm blessed.

Hugs,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Awe Denise! Thank you so much.

You didn't need to do that. You're gonna go and make me cry--aren't you? Oh well, at least I know my tear ducts are in fine working order these days.

Love you,
K.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Bless your heart, Kerri. I am SO glad you are okay. The ordeal is really scary, isn't it!!! The important thing is, you survived it and have come out a lot stronger person for it. And, you have loved ones around you to face these trying times. Family and writers are the best kind of support a girl can ask for.

Unknown said...

Honey, I am so happy to hear it. I new you'd be okay. *g*

A few years ago after a routine pap smear, I get a call at work and they told me I had cervical cancer. They used the "c" word. I was devastated. It took me two months to get in to see my OBGYN and that was after rescheduling some other patients to accommodate me.

I had to have a vaginal sonogram and biopsy. Though, after that two month wait, he was kind enough to tell me it wasn't cancer, but irregular cells they found that "could" be cancer. I had another few weeks for results after that.

It turned out fine, but I was terrified that whole time. And I kept it to myself, I had other friends going through some serious things too. So, I do understand. :)

I'm doing the happy dance with you, my lovely!

Colleen Thompson said...

Oh, thank goodness, Kerri. I am so happy for you!

Hugs! And special hugs for all the women fighting to survive breast cancer.

Anonymous said...

Kerri:
I'm so glad you received good news! I've been keeping you in my prayers, so now I'll go thank God for blessing you.

Maeve Greyson said...

I'm so happy everything turned out well for you, Kerri. I guess this is a lessson for us all not to take ANYTHING for granted.

MaryG said...

The good part is you have that turmoil behind you now.
God bless.
Mary Galusha

Marissafarrar said...

Scary stuff, but such a lovely sensitive post. I hope other women who are going through the same thing read it as well. So pleased you are healthy and happy - you definitely deserve that night out!

B. Fox said...

Wow, Kerri...what a roller coaster. I had a similar situation and was sent to a breast surgeon - talk about SCARY!!!! My oldest daughter was 6 months old, I was 25 at the time and all I could think for the few days of waiting (and the days after when I was worried they had missed it) was this beautiful little girl would grow up without me. That was 13 years ago and I am still around to torment her.

Congrats on the good news and thanks for sharing!

Berna

Farrah Rochon said...

So very, very happy to hear that good news, Kerri!

kerribookwriter said...

Paisley~~

I agree 100%. I don't know what I would do without my writer family. The heartfelt messages of support that I received were just overwhelming. Many tears of gratitude were spilled this week.

Thanks for stopping by, my friend.

Hugs,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Saranna~~

Thank goodness everything turned out well with your results. So scary. So life altering. You just fear the worst and pray for the best--it is all you can do.

Your support meant a great deal to me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Big Hugs,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Colleen~~

I appreciate it. I think of all the women who fight breast cancer every day. My daughter's teacher told me that she's had and beaten it 3 times in her life! Wow! That's all I can say...Wow!

Thanks for the comment.

Best,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Mary~~

All prayers are welcome and I believe that they truly do work. Thank you for adding me to your list and know that I'm thinking of you every day as well.

I'll send a few your way.

xoxo,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Maeve,

You are so right. Every day is a blessing. Even if just to enjoy our children crying, the traffic jam, or the line at the grocery store.

Thanks for the well wishes and for stopping by.

Best,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

MaryG~

Yes and thank you. Onward and upward!

Best,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Marissa~~

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed my post and I hope it convinces other women (who might be fearing the test) to go and get it. You never know what they will find but the real danger is in not knowing at all.

I'm glad you stopped by. Give baby a kiss for me.

Hugs,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Berna~~

I know how you feel. I have 3 children (one with special needs and 2 others under age 2)! So, just to even consider not being around for them is unthinkable.

We have to take care of ourselves, too. As women...we so often put our own care last on the list.

Thanks for stopping by and glad that you are around to torment your teen (teens need that!) :-)

Hugs,
K.

kerribookwriter said...

Farrah~~

Thank you very very much!

Best,
K.