Hello everyone!If you're wondering where I've been lately--well I'm all over the place and have sadly neglected my wonderful blog. If you didn't know--I have a new industry blog that is very active and I encourage you to check it out here: The Book Boost (www.thebookboost.blogspot.com)
Now, as a woman, there are so many things we must endure for the sake of our life and health. Among them are annual check-ups and mammograms. At my last doctor's visit, he tells me that I need to have my first mammogram and it sent me into a panic. Fear of the unknown.
I'd heard all the horror stories about it and so I went to a group of my trusted female friends and asked for their opinions and experiences to be shared.
What I received was a lot of encouragement, a lot of commiseration, and some more horrifying stories! LOL
Needless to say, what I decided was that I should blog about my personal experience so that I might encourage women to go out and get their own exam.
Bottom line, it is extremely important to our health and it is much better than the alternative (having something there that could have been treated--if you'd only found it early).
So, I've scheduled my exam for next month. The countdown clock is ticking in the left hand column of my blog.
Won't you come along with me during the next month and share your experiences here?
I'll be back after the exam to post the details!
Best,
Kerri
P.S. Please consider donating to this charity who provides funding for mammograms to women who cannot otherwise afford the testing! I donated to them a short while back.
http://www.breastcancerpreventionfund.org/

29 comments:
You've caught my attention, Kerri. What an important thing you've decided to post about. As an avid supported of Breast Cancer Awareness (& the fact it looks like you host a super blog ;)), I'm adding you to my blogroll and have my finger's crossed all goes well for you.
Best Regards,
~Sky
Thank you so much Sky! I'm so glad you've joined me in my quest for hand holding and spreading important information for women! :-)
Glad to be on your roll.
Hugs,
Kerri
I remember worrying and worrying about how they would squish my boobies after hearing all of my friends complain. Then I went and had it done and it was no big deal. Plus there was the piece of mind that all was well. Hope you have an easy time and all goes well for you also!
This topic caught my eye. I had my first one last Thursday. I'd heard all sorts of horror stories about them too, but it was NOTHING! In and out in about ten minutes and very little discomfort. Piece of cake. I had my results back in just a few days.
Thanks Caridad!
My Mom says.."it's nothing!"
I guess the fear of the unknown is what is gnawing at me!
Hugs,
K.
Yay Anya!
That's wonderful news. My doctor tells me that this particular cancer center that he's sending me to will read and deliver my results on site!
I'm actually relieved about that at least.
Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing!
Hugs,
K.
Kerri, I was a little late getting my baseline mammogram because of insurance issues, but finally I was able to have it done. Thought it would be a big deal. Hah! It was over in minutes, it didn't hurt AT ALL, and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Still can't. I'd rather have a mammogram than go to the dentist!
Thanks Miriam!
I can always count on you.
Rather get a mammogram than go to the dentist, eh? I can't stand the dentist (hope he isn't reading this)!
Hugs,
K.
I did my first one last year. Also the first of my friends to do it.
First question, are you breast feeding? I don't think you're supposed to get one while breast feeding. One of my friends held off doing hers because she was still having kids.
I had no trouble and I didn't have any problems. It was over in no time (I think I spent a total of 15 to 20 minutes at the place.)
Hey Beth!
Nope. I had to give up breastfeeding after the first few months. He was killing me! LOL
I'm all back to "normal" now. So, that shouldn't be an issue.
I did injure my shoulder but that's why we had to schedule it for a month away.
Glad you came through a-okay.
Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs,
K.
Hi Kerri! As the daughter of a breast cancer survivor I was pretty nervous when I had my first mamogram. And needless to say, my experiance wasn't a good one. I went in and had my first mamogram done- that in itself was a breeze. The actual X-ray of the breast doesn't hurt. Is it uncomfortable and embarassing? Yes, but its really quite painless so that is NOTHING to worry about. I had mine done, went home and recieved a call from my doctor. They found a mass of calcifications and needed to do further testing. Now, calcifications are NOT cancer- they are just what they say they are- calcium deposits, and are very normal- EVERY woman my age will have firbrocystic change- its a fact of life and not harmful. It can be painful but its not life threatening. The problem for me was, the formation of my calcifications. Mine were in a clump. When they present themselves this way it sends up a red flag. Why? Becuase cancer is known to hide below the calcification. So, I had to go back for an ultrasound and a more indepth mamogram- again, no big thing as for as the actual testing goes. The indepth mamogram pinched a little, but its over so quickly you barely notice. The hardest part of all is the WAITING AND WONDERING. The next day my doctor called me and told me that I needed to have a biopsy done. Immediately I freaked out. My mom had a mastectomy, chemo the whole nine yards. To say I was petrified was an understatement. I have three children! I made an appointment with the surgeon, went and spoke to him and he was very optimistic! I had the biopsy, which is NO fun at all, but not as bad as I had anticipated. I won't say its painless becuase its not, but there are worse things. The entire process took about 30 mins- and my results were negative! Thank god! So not every experiance is the same, but in the END, it is what it is and we deal and move on! Kerri, I am sure your results will be fine! Take care and if I can help you in anyway - ANYWAY, please, let me know! Thank you for this post, it is one of the most important things we woman can talk about! xoxo
Andrea
Thank YOU, Andrea for sharing your story with us.
I remember when you were waiting for your biopsy results. I donated to an organization (in your honor) that helps women get mammograms who cannot otherwise afford to do so.
I should have added that to my blog post. I'll go back and do that now.
I cannot tell you had glad I am that your story has a happy ending and I hope and pray things stay that way for you.
One of my cousins went through the same thing as your mother. She is still alive and well 15+ years later. She made it through and she's inspired me to inspire others to get all the testing necessary.
Biggest hugs to you,
K.
Kerri, mammograms are a serious and necessary part of women's health. Okay, that being said... there's nothing like getting fondled by a stranger. It's the closest thing I've had to a lesbian experience. And if you can manage it, pocket a few of the boobie jewelry pasties for fun time with the hubby. Mine were like colorful bandaide-like stickers with a silver BB that went on my nipple. Dead sexy.
I've had five mammograms so far. Nothing to it. You'll do great.
Boone Brux
I've had several now, the first being in my thirties when I had a lump. Thankfully, it wasn't cancer! But I remember being nervous and asking other women about it. It's different for everyone. I know some women that it doesn't bother them at all. For me, it's uncomfortable, but they do it so fast, you hardly notice. Good for you for getting one!
Ruth J. Hartman
www.ruthjhartman.blogspot.com
Kerri,
It isn't as bad as everyone says. Yes, you are smashed like a pancake, but that's so they can see everything. If they give you the option to get the extra video screening - usually an extra cost that insurance doesn't pay - for me was only $8, go ahead and do it. That way, they have the best chance to really see something that could be small.
EVERYONE: DON'T LISTEN TO WASHINGTON DC study that said you only have to have them every other year or every 5 years. HOGWASH! Do it every year. Even young women and men get breast cancer.
My mother died from it. She waited to get her mammograms done too long. I think it was not quite two years. We didn't have any cancer in the family, so she thought, "What the heck, I'll do it when I feel like it."
Then she woke up one day and her nipple was inverted. She got herself to the Dr. and three days later had a mastectomy and they also removed most of her underarm nodes that were completely invaded. We were braced for the worst, but she endured all the treatments, and then was declared "cured". She was on a low level Tamoxifim (sorry I know this is wrong) dosage, and because she thought she knew best and didn't like the side effects, stopped taking it. Well, after 8 years it all came back. In her spine, skull - it had metastasized.
LADIES: DON'T DO THIS! I'm considering going on the low level dosage they are now doing for women in high risk groups. Not sure what my Dr. will recommend, but I have talked to a couple of researchers about this.
There is nothing natural about breast cancer. Don't try to do it on your own. Get the big guns out and endure everything you can. Be brave, and LIVE!
GOOD JOB, Kerri for bringing it to our attention.
Boone,
Now why didn't I think of that? You should be writing erotica. I love the way your mind thinks.
Love you, my friend and thanks for the words of encouragement!
Hugs,
K.
Ruth,
Thanks for the way you make it sound easy peasy! Here's hoping mine goes smoothly and I plan to share the gritty details here for all to see.
I want everyone to get one. I believe it is so very important!
Hugs,
K.
Sharon,
Your story about your mother made me cry. Many thanks for sharing such a heart wrenching experience with us. Just goes to show how VERY important this is for all women to do.
You are in my thoughts and prayers and I don't blame you for wanting to be pro-active.
Please stay in touch about how this is going for you.
Hugs,
K.
Boone, you are so funny! Yeah, I did think about that too. But it was way better than spreading my legs for my handsome gynecologist. I just couldn't look at his face, but he probably knew me better than my husband did at the time, 4 pregnancies and all...
OMG Sharon!
I love my OB/Gyn as well. I've known him for 10 years and 3 pregnancies and I have and do trust him with my life (3 surgeries). That's a big deal.
I actually look forward to seeing him for visits because he's so much fun.
So, isn't it funny that it is the much less invasive boob smashing that has me on edge! LOL
Again...just fear of the unknown and afraid they'll find something.
--K.
Kerri,
Yes, and that's why we do it. So we don't have to worry about it. That causes stress too.
You'll laugh afterward at how worried you were. But you'll be helping those you love. Good job! : )
I deal with stress through humor. So it would not have suprised my friends when, after my first mammogram, I asked the tech if she wanted my order. She looked perplexed, then amused when I said I want two 8x10's and a dozen wallet prints for my friends. Seriously, though, I encourage all women to have annual mammmograms. It's a brief discomfort and can save lives.
Linda Rettstatt
(author of Next Time I'm Gonna Dance, a fictional story about a two-time breast cancer survivor)
http://www.lindarettstatt.com
Great Stuff, Linda!
Gotta get enough copies to share with family and friends. :-)
Glad you stopped by!
Hugs,
K.
"And if you can manage it, pocket a few of the boobie jewelry pasties for fun time with the hubby. Mine were like colorful bandaide-like stickers with a silver BB that went on my nipple."
?? -- My mammography lab doesn't give stickers. I feel deprived. :)
I've never found a mammogram painful. The squishing is uncomfortable but lasts only a very short time. The appointment is a chance to sit in a waiting room and read for a few minutes with nothing to dread. (I would certainly rather have a mammogram than a dental visit -- teeth cleaning doesn't feel good at all -- or a pelvic. My doctor always includes a rectal. Ouch.) So don't worry.
Ouch indeed, Margaret!
Thanks for sharing. I'm going to be on the lookout for the complimentary pasties. LOL
Hugs,
K.
Yes, you can have fun with the pasties. Once I went home with new earrings and, another time, with a third eye. Ha, ha.
Linda
I've had mammograms done for years and there's uncomfortable--yes, but thinking of what they're for makes it bearable. The technician does it as quickly as possible. I also had breast cancer and underwent two lumpectomies, so mammos now are a little more difficult because I now have implants which have to be
moved" out of the way before the pix can be taken. Still not fun, but just hold for breath and it's over!
Linda,
You slay me!
Hugs,
K.
Hey Toni!
Never thought about implants. I don't have that particular issue!
Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate you sharing your story with us.
Hugs,
K.
Post a Comment